Friday, November 14, 2014

How Can You Make the World a Better Place?

Happy Kids:
This week at school, the principal introduced the school wide challenge of "7 Habits of Happy Kids" along with our school service project, "Kindness Makes Cents". We will focus on a different habit every week. Our humanitarian project involves collecting clothes for a school/orphanage in Africa and earning pennies for doing kind things around the school. This weeks "Happy Habit" was being proactive and choosing to be happy.

For our writing journal on Tuesday, we asked our students how they could make the world a better place. As I was walking around observing, I couldn't help laughing to myself. These are only some of the funny things that second graders can do to change the world:
"I can spread light through the world and be a good example."
(Isn't that a scripture or something? She is definitely attending Sunday school.) 
"I can make the world a better place by smiling, even though I'm missing a few teeth." (More like all of your teeth, but that's okay.)
"I can make the world a better place by cuddling with my kitty, cuddling with my mom, and by eating lunch. Because you doesn't love lunch? Gobble gobble." (Eating does make the world a better place. And who doesn't love to cuddle?)
"I can make a difference in the world by being true. Honesty is the best policy." (How sweet is this?)

And we can't even let someone else on the road during a merge.
(I'm not bitter or anything.....)


Cheating Mistakes: 
This week I was retesting some students who missed the math test from the previous week during our prep hour. While we were testing, I noticed that one of my students, Joe, was whispering things to my other student, Aiden. I reminded them that it was a test and that they weren't allowed to talk, but stood near them for the next question. After reading the next question, Joe began whispering again, but this time I heard what he was mumbling... "Cuatro.... Cuatro...." 
"Joe.... I know that you are saying four in Spanish. And just so you know, I don't think that is the right answer."
"Miss James, you can speak Spanish???"
....I'm sure you can only imagine what happened after that.
The funny thing is, is that I am currently teaching in the French dual immersion class. If they had been telling the answers in French, I wouldn't have had any idea what they were saying. Hahaha oh second graders. It was hard to get mad at these boys. 


Cowboy Counterfeit: 
Here is an update on the "Miss James is a Cowgirl?!" phenomenon that I posted on FB. After the exciting outburst from the class that left them finding out that I did indeed own cowboy boots, a hat and took riding lessons for a couple years, we planned a cowboy day where the whole class planned on wearing their "cowboy" gear. And of course we planned it on the day with the first snow fall (bad idea). Thursday I showed up in my cowboy boots and blue jeans, along with 5 or 6 of my students. And then there were all the girls who showed up in their brown boots that they thought were totally on the cowgirl level. And then there were a couple of boys and girls who wore plaid shirts for their cowboy attire. But that's fine. I totally wish that I would've gotten a picture. And I only almost fell down in the snow like twice.

Dodging a Bullet... Or a Pencil: 
This week I also got to be one of the students. My cooperating teacher was teaching a lesson that required a lot of partner talk and one of our students didn't have a partner. I got to sit in a tiny desk, with a tiny chair and talk with cute Chloe about the book we were reading. While Chloe and I were in deep conversation, my cooperating teacher asked a question and Tara's hand shot up, her pencil going flying. Luckily, tennis reflexes are still somewhat present and I was able to deflect the pencil away from my face. I calmly started using the pencil to minimize the shock and distraction of the class, Tara covered her mouth, and the entire class started whispering, "Why did Miss James throw her pencil in the air? Doesn't she know that is against the rules?" Basically, I'm lucky that I still have both of my eye balls and that I survived a day as a seven year old. Of course, I was the best partner Chloe had ever had and she asked if I could be her partner again the next day. It's probably because I knew all of the answers.

Sprightly Second Graders:
And finally, the funnest thing that happened all week. Every single day, Tyson (a very smart, cute second grader that I would totally want my daughter to date if I had a daughter his age) asked me for sugar/sour sweet-tarts. Every single day. I think that he just enjoyed my reaction and my immediate no that followed his bright eyed question, but he thought it was so funny. He would always put on this puppy dog face and say, "Please Miss James! I promise I won't bounce off the walls this time..." Yeah, whatever. But I guess I didn't learn my lesson on Halloween. When I finally agreed to his acquisition today, he was so surprised that he forgot to take his sweet-tarts and I immediately became his favorite teacher ever. Or so he says. Oh the immediate happiness that comes from two sweet-tarts.

I know that I have missed countless stories about inappropriate words shouted in class (in second grade, I know), face palms to the forehead (what were they thinking?) and waterfalls of tears (how mean can second grade girls be?), but those stories happen almost every day. I must say, my day job is way more entertaining than yours. :)

The life of a teacher. And to think that I am only getting started.......





No comments:

Post a Comment